Stop with the Marketing Buzz Words

by Josef Katz on October 15, 2010

in sales

Sales people – stop with the marketing buzz words they are just a clear sign you don’t understand marketing.

I have posted about sales calls a few times.  However the other day I was on a call and the sales person just tossed out one buzz word after the next.  It was clear to me and would be to anyone who worked in the industry that this person didn’t know what they were talking about.  Here are some marketing buzz words and phrases I have come across over the last few weeks that are over used by sales people all the time.

• Integrated Marketing
  • CRM
  • Viral Marketing
  • 360 view of the customer
  • Innovative Marketing Company (ah yeah otherwise why be in business)
  • Organic (as in SEO – now that is a first)
  • Grass roots
  • User generated content
  • Twitter effect
  • Our market is right for your target audience

So, if you are thinking of calling me to sell something here is a quick tip.  Lose the marketing buzz words and just get to the point.

If you see any marketing buzz words that are missing in the above list just let me know and I will add them to the list.

{ 1 trackback }

Thinking Outside The Box | Marketing Maestro
October 22, 2013 at 11:23 am

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Bob Portaro October 15, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Josef,
I represent an Integrated marketing company that has a unique CRM solution. It combines aspects of Viral Marketing to give you a 360 view of the customer. Considering you are an Innovative Marketing Company, we thought you could use of tools, for not only Organic growth, but new business development.

We can help you with any Grass rots efforts you are undertaking. Having seen how the Twitter effect is changing the business landscape, we know that Our market is right for your target audience.

There, I got them all in.

So when do you think we can get a contract signed?

Sales Guy Bob.

October 17, 2010 at 9:21 am

Sales Guy Bob,
Very cute but I am sure you know you are not the typical sales guy. Just the fact we have done business together should tell you that much.

Bob Portaro October 17, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks Josef. I hate using buzzwords more than anyone. I like simple and articulate communication and have always thought a good salesperson should listen more than talk.

Regards,

Bob

October 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Bob, You know the saying. We have two ears and one mouth and we should use them in that proportion.

Bonnie Berridge January 4, 2011 at 12:04 am

Josef,

I like this post – – I’m a “saleswoman” myself and you’ve definitely hit the nail on the head. From someone on the other side of the spectrum, throwing out buzz words will get you nowhere…

Thanks for telling it like it is.

Bonnie

Rina Wallace January 6, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I was talking to my sister about this earlier today and we tried to distill it down to the main consumer segments to look for and I found this article which really opened my eyes to who I was marketing towards.

Here are the segments defined:

1) Strivers: Place more emphasis on material and professional goals.
2) Devouts: Tradition & duty are very important.
3) Altruists: Interested in social issues & social welfare.
4) Intimates: Value close personal & family relationships.
5) Fun Seekers: High consumption of restaurants, bars, & movies.
6) Creatives: Strong interest in education, knowledge, & technology.

See the article here http://outtoown.com/2010/11/02/strategic-marketing-segmentation-the-6-consumer-segments/